ANNOUNCE: Version 4 released

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Sun Oct 20 17:48:09 IST 2002

I did remove the symlink in /opt  The initscript was replaced
correctly...took me a second to catch that mailscanner had become
MailScanner :)

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Julian Field
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 11:26 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Version 4 released

At 17:17 20/10/2002, you wrote:
>I was starting MS by issuing /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner restart
>
>To install, I just untarred the bunch of rpm's and ran ./install.sh
>
>I then made all the changes to my MailScanner.conf and tried starting
>it.  I looked through the initscript and found no references to
>/opt/MailScanner, so I just removed the symlink and the problem went
>away.

Is this caused by you having some/all of a V4 alpha test release on your
system? You probably need to remove all traces of an alpha before
installing the production release. The production RPM version doesn't
live under /opt at all. You might want to check your init.d script got
replaced properly.

Explorer
> >    and Eudora security vulnerabilities.
> >    MailScanner is now a complete e-mail security system, not just a
> >virus
> >    scanner.
> >- Actions to take when a message is detected as being spam include
any
> >    combination of
> >    "deliver" it to the intended recipient as normal
> >    "store"   it in the spam archive
> >    "delete"  it altogether
> >    "bounce"  it back to the sender by sending them a warning message
> >    "forward" it to any other email addresses
> >     "striphtml" to remove all HTML content and images, leaving only
> >plain text
> >- Supports multiple mqueue.in directories, either by specifying a
> >wildcard
> >    in the MailScanner.conf file, or else by giving the name of a
file
> >    that contains the list of directories.
> >- A 4th security patch added to MIME-tools to handle messages better
> >that
> >    have badly-formed MIME headers in sections of the message.
> >
> >Notes:
> >======
> >1) This release can only be used with sendmail. Exim support for this

> >version will be released soon.
> >2) People who have been using the alpha test versions: I have removed

> >the "Load SpamAssassin" option. You will need to ensure you remove
> >this
>
> >from your conf file as its presence will stop MailScanner starting.
> >
> >Download it all from www.mailscanner.info

> >please. I hope you like it!
> >
> >Jules.
> >--
> >Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> >jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> >Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
> >                              Southampton SO17 1BJ
>
>--
>Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
>jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
>Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ