mailscanner-newbie: mails are created funny

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 19 10:23:45 IST 2002

At 08:59 19/10/2002, you wrote:
>Am Freitag, 18. Oktober 2002 18:58 schrieben Sie:
> > At 17:21 18/10/2002, you wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I've installed mailscanner 3.13.2-4 on Debian Woody 3.0 with
> > >sendmail 8.12.6-6. My virusengine is f-secure (fsav).
> > >
> > >I've got some problems getting it properly to work. First of all
> > >f-secure didn't want to start an told me something about
> > > problems with the code status. So I changed
> > > /usr/share/mailscanner/sweep.pl at the section "f-secure" from
> > > $S_Beta to $S_Supported. After that the mailscanner started.
> >
> > Why didn't you just read the web page the error message referred
> > you to, and did what it told you to? You don't go editing the
> > code, that's what the mailscanner.conf file is for.
>
>I've read that page, but for some reason I didn't see any hints for
>my problem. Probably my english is not good enough...

1st sentence just under the 1st subheading "The Minimum Code Status" option:
>There is a MailScanner configuration option called "Minimum Code Status".
>This option is intended to make sure that you do not accidentally run code
>that is not yet fully tested and supported. The various possible settings
>are noted in the config file as distributed, and below.

How would you prefer me to word that bit, so it is more obvious that I mean
a configuration option in the configuration file, rather than "you need to
hack the code"?

>By the way: Is it possible to access these error page later on
>without having the error message (and the link) in front of me? I
>couldn't find a link on the mailscanner homepage.

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/codestatus.shtml
though I admit the only place it is linked from is the Installation FAQ
article on the subject.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ