Mail queue is backing up - processor is idling

Dale Lovelace dlovelace at HOTELS.COM
Fri Oct 18 16:09:44 IST 2002

  Hi,

  I've installed the mailscanner-3.24-1 RPM on a fresh Red Hat 8.0 installation. I am using the spamassassin-2.31-16 RPM that came with RH8.0. We have a very high volume mail server. My mail queue is getting backed up horribly right now. I have 4000 mails in /var/spool/mqueue.in/ waiting for mailscanner to scan them, but top shows the load average at around .20 and the cpu is 96% idle.

  My question is how to make mailscanner put more load on the server and speed up mail processing. I am using Delivery Method = queue and running the sendmail delivery queue at 1m like it says in the FAQ. This box has no local delivery, so adding a local sendmail cron wouldn't do me any good.

  I tried modifying my /usr/local/Mailscanner/bin/check_mailscanner to this:

echo Starting virus scanner...
nice -20 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/MailScanner/bin/mailscanner $config

and it seems to have helped some, but I still have massive cpu idle time.

  I have noticed that it seems the number of mails in the queue stay the same for several minutes, then 100 or so of them will get moved. I am assuming that mailscanner scans a batch, then moves them all at the same time.

  I am trying to replace a Windows based mail relay server, and Linux running slower than Windows is pretty embarrassing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

  Thanks in advance!
  Dale

Dale Lovelace
System Administrator