Stopping sneaky spammers

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Oct 16 14:57:08 IST 2002

I think this is off topic since Mailscanner doesn't control Spam.  What
I recommend is sending this to the SA list so that new rules can be
developed.  You can also block them using your own MTA (sendmail's acces
file).

Also ORDB is not a spam list.  It's an open relay database.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno [mailto:x.mailscanner.mail at MELLONI.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 7:25 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Stopping sneaky spammers

Hello all,

I have found a major spamming outfit (HighSpeedMail) that is very
aggressive at avoiding being detected by anti-spam software (including
my installed MailScanner and SpamAssassin - using default rules, even
the default and quite aggressive "5" blocking level, since SA usually
ranks them over 3 and below 5).

Unless a good way to block them is found, I fear other spamming outfits
will soon follow on their tacticts.  Suggestions on how to block them
permanently would be welcome.

Here are some details:

1) They seem to always fake their email address (hi-speed.ch,
hi-speedmail.com, hi-speedmail.net, hi-speedemail.com,
hi-speedemail.net, hi-speedmediaoffers.com, hispeedmediaoffers.com,
hispeedmediaoffers.net, hsm-mailer.com, hsm-mailerdirect.com,
hsmmailer.com, hsmailer.com).
2) The spam seems to originate from a few addresses in the 10.0.1.*
network, but is delivered/routed via other IPs, before it reaches me.
3) The delivery IPs change but seem to come from the same class C subnet
for about 2 weeks at a time (64.70.20.*, 64.70.44.*, 12.158.236.*,
148.233.70.50, 217.168.208.252).
4) I am using /etc/mail/access to block the delivery class C subnets for
this spam, but have to keep adding new ones.
5) I use the free Spam List from the default MailScanner installation
(ORDB-RBL), but they seem to avoid it quite easily.  I am a home user,
and cannot afford paying for a commercial list.
6) Possible alternative solution:  A few months ago I read in InfoWorld
that "in theory" in the US it is possible to sue spammers for $1000 per
spam message.  I probably get about 1000 spams per year that I can trace
to these specific spammers. Does anybody know of a lawyer that
specializes on this type of lawsuit and will work for a percentage of
the amount collected?