Version 3 improved virus reports

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Thu Oct 10 14:00:42 IST 2002

Julian Field wrote:

> Please can someone try this out for me and see if the results are better
> than they were before?
>
> I have changed the reporting slightly so that when there is a problem with
> the message (such as Microsoft insecurity exploit found), the report the
> user gets will contain *all* the reports for that message.
>
> This should greatly improve the usefulness of the report they get when a
> copy of Bugbear is found.
>
> I've done the same change to version 4 as well.
>
> The attached files are for version 3. If someone says they fix the problem,
> I will release a new copy of V3 and V4.
>
> So the faster someone tests it, the faster you get a new release :-)
>
> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ

I have tested it and it seems to work fine.  Both the "Possible
Microsoft security vulnerability attack" and the ">>> Virus
'W32/Bugbear-A' found in file ./g9ACurw1025260/ALSTOM.xls.scr...Windows
Screensavers often hide viruses in email (ALSTOM.xls.scr)" are mentioned
in the recipient's report.

Dustin

--
Dustin Baer