perfomace questions

Chris Myers cmyers at KISKI.NET
Wed Oct 9 21:19:36 IST 2002

Hi,

i am running mailscanner 3.23.3 on digital unix 4.0e (600Mhz alpha) with
768MB of ram.

i have having performace problems. i can have (and seen) up to 75000 files
in my mqueue.in dir.  i watch it very closely and when it gets over 3000 i
stop accepting mail into mqueue.in (bypassing mailscanner).  I don't really
want to do this but, i can not have long delays on mail.

my incoming mail varies between 3 to 5 mails a second.

i have followed the FAQ for alternative settings for a high volume server.

any help would be appreciated.

please copy me as i am on the digest list.

Chris Myers

mailscanner.conf: (with all commented lines removed)

Max Safe   Messages Per Scan = 500
Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 200
Max Safe   Bytes Per Scan = 100000000
Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 50000000
Restart Every = 14400 # 4 hours
Host name          = the MailScanner
Mail Header = X-MailScanner:
Clean Header       = Found to be clean
Infected Header    = Found to be infected
Disinfected Header = Disinfected
Incoming Work Dir  = /var/spool/mailscanner/incoming
Quarantine Dir     = /var/spool/mailscanner/quarantine
Pid File           = /usr/local/mailscanner/var/virus.pid
Filename Rules     = /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/filename.rules.conf
Log Permitted Filenames = no
Stored Virus Message Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/stored.virus.message.txt
Stored Bad Filename Message Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/stored.filename.message.txt
Deleted Virus Message Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/deleted.virus.message.txt
Deleted Bad Filename Message Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/deleted.filename.message.txt
Hide Incoming Work Dir = yes
Disinfected Report = /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/disinfected.report.txt
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue
MTA                = sendmail
Sendmail           = /usr/lib/sendmail
Log Facility = mail
Virus Scanning     = yes
Virus Scanner = sophos
Sweep = /usr/local/sav/bin/sophoswrapper
Virus Scanner Timeout = 300
Expand TNEF        = no
TNEF Expander      = /usr/local/bin/tnef --maxsize=100000000
TNEF Timeout       = 120
Attachment Warning Filename = VirusWarning.txt
Warning Is Attachment = yes
Scan All Messages = yes
Deliver To Recipients = no
Virus Modify Subject = yes
Virus Subject Text = {VIRUS?}
Deliver From Local Domains = no
Notify Senders = yes
Sender Virus Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/sender.virus.report.txt
Sender Bad Filename Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/sender.filename.report.txt
Sender Error Report
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/sender.error.report.txt
Notify Local Postmaster = yes
Postmaster Gets Full Headers = no
Local Postmaster = postmaster at highvision.net
Action = delete
Quarantine Whole Message = no
Deliver Disinfected Files = no
Local Domains = /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/localdomains.conf
Still Deliver Quietly Deleted Viruses = yes
Allow IFrame Tags = no
Mark Infected Messages = yes
Inline Text Warning = Warning: This message has had one or more attachments
removed.
Inline Text Warning = Warning: Please read the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment
(s) for more information.
Inline HTML Warning = <P><B><FONT SIZE="+1" COLOR="red">Warning:
</FONT>This message has had one or more attachments removed. Please read
the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.</B><BR></P>
Sign Clean Messages = no
Inline Text Signature = --
Inline Text Signature = This message has been scanned for viruses and
Inline Text Signature = dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
Inline Text Signature = believed to be clean.
Inline HTML Signature = <BR>--
Inline HTML Signature = <BR>This message has been scanned for viruses and
Inline HTML Signature = <BR>dangerous content by
Inline HTML Signature = <A
HREF="http://www.mailscanner.info/"><B>MailScanner</B></A>,
Inline HTML Signature = and is<BR>believed to be clean.
Sign Messages Already Processed = no
Archive Mail = no
Archive Mail Dir = /var/spool/MailArchive
Scanning By Domain = no
Domains To Scan = /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/domains.to.scan.conf
Sign Unscanned Messages = yes
Unscanned Header = not scanned: please contact your email provider for
details
Spam Checks = no
Spam Header = X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
Spam Modify Subject = yes
Spam Subject Text = {SPAM?}
Spam Action = deliver
Log Spam = no
Use SpamAssassin = no
Max SpamAssassin Size = 50000
SpamAssassin Timeout = 10
Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 10
SpamAssassin Prefs File
= /usr/local/mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = yes
Compile SpamAssassin Once = yes
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = no
Spam List = ORDB-RBL, relays.ordb.org.