Tagging of messages - wider range of tags?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:38:15 IST 2002

Quentin,

I am only really adding new features to version 4 now, I don't want to
spend much more time on version 3. However, as you request, version 4 now
has 2 new options:

># If an attachment triggered a filename check, but there was nothing
># else wrong with the message, do you want to modify the subject line?
># This makes filtering in Outlook very easy.
># This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>Filename Modify Subject = yes
>
># This is the text to add to the start of the subject if the
># "Filename Modify Subject" option is set.
># This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>Filename Subject Text = {VIRUS?}

The "Filename Subject Text" is "{VIRUS?}" be default, so that sites used to
the old system won't have to change anything. However, you can change it to
whatever you like. It will be used to tag message that *only* failed a
filename check. If the message has a virus in it as well, this tag won't be
seen, just the normal virus tag.

Be warned, however, that some of the Microsoft-specific security
vulnerabilities depend on the filename traps, so don't automatically give
out any file a user asks for.

If you want to try hacking it into version 3, I have attached the patch for
version 4.

Beware I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but it's a pretty simple mod.

Jules.