Installing Mailscanner v4

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 17:25:22 IST 2002

At 16:45 03/10/2002, you wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Julian Field wrote:
> > RedHat 7 isn't a problem, but RedHat 8.0 is causing some trouble.
>
>What sorts of trouble?

The /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 directory, where all localised perl
modules get installed under RedHat 7 isn't on the search path (@INC) for
the Perl 5.8 build shipped with RedHat 8.

So none of the existing perl- RPMs work. So they all have to be rebuilt.
Unfortunately, due to changes in perl's ExtUtils::MakeMaker module (they
ship a new one with RedHat 8), all attempts to rebuild the RPMs from the
source SRPMs fail.

So you can't use any of the RPM, the SRPM or the specfile from RedHat 7 on
RedHat 8.

And the nice guy at RedHat who wrote the tool to write specfiles for CPAN
Perl modules hasn't published the version for RedHat 8 yet, so I've got to
create them all by hand, starting from the one of the specfiles for a Perl
module that is shipped with RedHat 8.

All good fun eh?

P.S. The 2 people who volunteered to test the RPMs for MailScanner 4
(currently only on RedHat 7) should have just received them. I'll try to
get the RedHat 8 RPMs written tonight if I have the time and energy to do
it. Then I'll pass them to the 2 testers as well.

P.P.S. Anyone fancy buying me either a new development machine or another
copy of VMware for Windows? Then I can run various versions of RH7 and RH8
at home and at work. Oh, and while I'm wishing for things, an entry in the
New Year Honours List would be nice too :-)
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ