SpamAssassin not running

Jeff Adams jadams at GATEKEEPER.NO-IP.COM
Fri Nov 29 07:26:02 GMT 2002

Hello gang,

 First off, Thanks Julian for all of your hard work writing and
maintaining this package.  I think it's the best option out there for
what I'm trying to do and I appreciate the hard work.  --- so on to the
problem:

 I'm trying to setup an anti-spam mail gateway for my company and I'm
having trouble getting spamassassin to run from mailscanner.  The
incoming messages are getting procesed by mailscanner and delivered by
Sendmail, but my spam email tests aren't getting flagged by SA as spam.
 I think that SA isn't being called from MailScanner, but other than
looking in the headers, I can't tell how to determine if SA was run or
how to troubleshoot the problem further.  Has anyone ran into this
problem before?

Here are my stats:

 Sparc Solaris 7 / perl 5.8.0 / MailScanner 4.05-3 / SpamAssassin 2.43
 / all the appropriate perl modules.

/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam-assassin-prefs.cf  (comments removed for brevity)

header   FRIEND_GREETINGS       Subject =~ /you have an E-Card from/i
describe FRIEND_GREETINGS       Nasty E-card from FriendGreetings.com
score    FRIEND_GREETINGS       100.0
required_hits           5
auto_report_threshold   30
whitelist_from          monty at roscom.com
ok_locales              en
rewrite_subject 1
report_header 0
use_terse_report 0
defang_mime 1
skip_rbl_checks 1
score DCC_CHECK 0.0

/opt/MailScaner/etc/mailscanner.conf (comments removed for brevity)

Max Children = 5
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue
Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
PID dir = /opt/MailScanner/var
Restart Every = 14400
MTA = sendmail
Sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail
Sendmail2 = /usr/lib/sendmail
Max Unscanned Bytes Per Scan = 100000000
Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 50000000
Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 500
Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 100
Expand TNEF = yes
Deliver Unparsable TNEF = yes
TNEF Expander = /opt/MailScanner/bin/tnef --maxsize=100000000
TNEF Timeout = 120
Virus Scanning = no
Virus Scanners = none
Virus Scanner Timeout = 300
Deliver Disinfected Files = yes
Silent Viruses = Klez Yaha-E Bugbear
Still Deliver Silent Viruses = yes
Allow IFrame Tags = yes
Log IFrame Tags = yes
Allow Object Codebase Tags = yes
Convert HTML To Text = no
Filename Rules = /opt/MailScanner/etc/filename.rules.conf
Quarantine Infections = yes
Quarantine Whole Message = no
Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = no
Deleted Bad Filename Message Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/deleted.filename.message.txt
Deleted Virus Message Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/deleted.virus.message.txt
Stored Bad Filename Message Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/stored.filename.message.txt
Stored Virus Message Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/stored.virus.message.txt
Disinfected Report = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/disinfected.report.txt
Inline HTML Signature = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/inline.sig.html
Inline Text Signature = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/inline.sig.txt
Inline HTML Warning = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/inline.warning.html
Inline Text Warning = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/inline.warning.txt
Sender Error Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.error.report.txt
Sender Bad Filename Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.filename.report.txt
Sender Virus Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.virus.report.txt
Hide Incoming Work Dir = yes
Mail Header = X-MailScanner:
Spam Header = X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
Spam Score Header = X-MailScanner-SpamScore:
Spam Score Character = +
Clean Header Value       = Found to be clean
Infected Header Value    = Found to be infected
Disinfected Header Value = Disinfected
Multiple Headers = append
Hostname = the MailScanner
Sign Messages Already Processed = no
Sign Clean Messages = no
Mark Infected Messages = yes
Mark Unscanned Messages = yes
Unscanned Header Value = Not scanned: please contact your Internet
E-Mail Service Provider for details
Deliver Cleaned Messages = yes
Notify Senders = yes
Virus Modify Subject = yes
Virus Subject Text = {Virus?}
Filename Modify Subject = yes
Filename Subject Text = {Virus?}
Spam Modify Subject = yes
Spam Subject Text = {Spam?}
High Scoring Spam Modify Subject = yes
High Scoring Spam Subject Text = {Spam?}
Warning Is Attachment = yes
Attachment Warning Filename = VirusWarning.txt
Attachment Encoding Charset = us-ascii
Send Notices = yes
Notices Include Full Headers = no
Notices To = removed
Local Postmaster = removed
Spam List Definitions = /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.lists.conf
Virus Scanner Definitions = /opt/MailScanner/etc/virus.scanners.conf
Spam Checks = yes
Spam List Timeout = 30
Max Spam List Timeouts = 7
Is Definitely Not Spam = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
Is Definitely Spam = no
Use SpamAssassin = yes
Max SpamAssassin Size = 50000
Required SpamAssassin Score = 5
High SpamAssassin Score = 20
SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no
SpamAssassin Prefs File = /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
SpamAssassin Timeout = 60
Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
Spam Score = yes
Spam Actions = deliver
High Scoring Spam Actions = deliver
Sender Spam Report = /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.spam.report.txt
Sender Spam List Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.spam.rbl.report.txt
Sender SpamAssassin Report =
/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/sender.spam.sa.report.txt
Syslog Facility = mail
Log Spam = yes
Log Permitted Filenames = no
Debug = no
Deliver In Background = yes
Delivery Method = batch
Lockfile Dir = /tmp
Minimum Code Status = supported

PS: I'm not using any virus protection because that's being done ahead
of this mail gateway.  So I've disabled it in my config above.

Thanks!
-jeff