Subject Line Changes

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 16:45:22 GMT 2002

At 16:52 28/11/2002, you wrote:
>Just wondering what people's opinion would be for more information to the
>admin of the server in the subject line then currently given.
>
>Right now i think its 'Warning: Possible Virus send blah blah'
>
>The guy that handles this gets like 250 emails like this a day.  It would
>be kinda nice if it would be divided up a little nicer with rules.  If
>this was at home, i'd use procmail and filter by the body, but i was
>thinking something like.
>
>'Warning: Virus blah blah (Klez)'
>
>Also, different subject lines for iframe messages and different ones for
>blocked file types.
>
>Again this is just to the admin, the messages to the user are fine.

That's a whole lot harder to write. Currently I don't make any real attempt
to reliably extract the virus name from the virus scanner output. It would
be a lot of work to do this, when you can easily just filter or process the
body. Remember this would have to work for 14 different scanning engines :-(
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ