Download from http://updates.f-prot.com/files/ failed

Knutzen, Heinz (DZ-SH) Heinz.Knutzen at DZSH.DE
Wed Nov 27 12:23:44 GMT 2002

Hi,

since yesterday I get error messages from the f-prot-autoupdate script:
        F-Prot signature file update script
        There is a new version of SIGN.DEF, starting download.
        Download from http://updates.f-prot.com/files/ failed, exiting., Bad file descriptor at /usr/lib/MailScanner/f-prot-autoupdate line 297, <TEMPFILE> line 2.

There are 3 problems:

1.
The download server in the output of
http://updates.f-prot.com/cgi-bin/check-updates?protocol=1&run_as=check_updates
is
S:ftp://eu-2.updates.f-prot.com/pub/

Presumably, this has changed recently from a http:// to a ftp:// server.
Our server reaches the internet via a squid proxy server.
Hence, we have a line
        $HttpProxy  = 'x.x.x.x:3128';
in our f-prot-autoupdate.
But this isn't used for ftp:// downloads.
I have solved this by adding a similar $FtpProxy variable
which is used to set the appropriate environment variable:
        $ENV{'ftp_proxy'} = $FtpProxy if $FtpProxy;

2.
f-prot-autoupdate uses a
        $FallbackServer = 'http://updates.f-prot.com/files/';
This doesn't work either.

3.
The error message is bad:
        Bad file descriptor ...
This script should simply exit and shouldn't try to read from a non existing file.
Even better, the script should give some hint, for what reason the get command failed.

Viele Grüße

-- Heinz Knutzen

Datenzentrale Schleswig-Holstein
Altenholzer Str. 10-14, 24161 Altenholz, Germany
http://www.dzsh.de/
mailto:heinz.knutzen at dzsh.de
Tel: +49.431.3295.581 Fax: +49.431.3295.410