incoming directory

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Mon Nov 25 20:43:33 GMT 2002

On Monday, Nov 25, 2002, at 10:41 US/Pacific, Martin Sapsed wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
>> Has anyone explored the bennefits or problems with putting the
>> incoming
>> directory onto a ramdisk?  I know mailscanner preferes to have it on
>> the
>> same partition as the mail queue directories, but I'm wondering if it
>> might be faster (for the scanning part of the process).
>
> Isn't the scary thought that if the power goes you lose all the
> incoming
> mail that hasn't been processed yet? (or do you have a truly UPS?)

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the mqueue.in directory, I meant the
directory where mailscanner does its scratch work, "Incoming Work Dir"
in the 3.x config file.  I could be wrong, but I assume from the usage
patterns in my mqueue.in directory that it keeps the message in there
until it's done doing the "work".  So, if the power were to go out, I'd
lose the "work", but not the message.  I'm ok with that.

(but if that's not a correct assumption on my part, I'd be happy to
hear it)