FW: String found where operator expected

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Nov 23 10:15:50 GMT 2002

At 02:50 23/11/2002, you wrote:
>Recently, I've begun to have problems with MailScanner 4.05-3 running on
>perl 5.005_03 built for i386-bsdos(BSD/OS 4.3) using SpamAssassin-2.43.
>We're using ClamAV as our virus scanner.  This behavior happens on my
>existing installation of MailScanner 4.05(??) and on a brand new fresh
>install of MailScanner 4.05-3 on a new, fresh installation of BSD/OS 4.3.
>
>Whenever I start up /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner  I get the
>following output:
>
>Starting virus scanner...
>String found where operator expected at (eval 65) line 1, near "&__FILE__
>":""
>         (Missing operator before  ":"?)

I think it is failing to compile your "FileHandle" module. Try fetching the
latest version of FileHandle from
http://search.cpan.org/author/JHI/perl-5.8.0/lib/FileHandle.pm
and you may need to update your IO modules as well.

I've re-written this for 4.06. I will mail you 4.06 to try out, I would be
very interested to hear if it solves this problem for you.

Perl 5.005_03 is the absolute earliest version of Perl I support, so if you
can easily upgrade to 5.6.1 or 5.8.0 it would probably help too.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ