Testing content filtering?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 16:40:51 GMT 2002

There is a sample-spam.txt and sample-nonspam.txt supplied as part of
SpamAssassin. They make a good pair of messages to test it with.
You have enabled SpamAssassin use in MailScanner.conf haven't you?

And remember that SpamAssassin is a *spam* filter, not an "offensive
content" filter.

At 15:31 22/11/2002, you wrote:
>My setup is Sendmail with MailScanner using SpamAssassin and f-prot.
>SpamAssassin does the content filtering right? I'm trying to test the
>server and make sure it's working before throwing it this weekend for a
>few hours as a pilot run.
>
>I've tried sending messages with a lot of offensive words in the subject
>and body that I won't repeat here, but they all get through without
>getting tagged. From the headers MailScanner is looking at it.
>
>Obviously I'm being naive and probably just assuming they should be
>getting caught. Can anyone suggest the best way to test this before
>trying it in production as our real mail gateway?
>
>Sorry if this is just a really stupid question....
>
>Thanks,
>James

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ