How many instances to spawn?

Mike Zanker mike at ZANKER.ORG
Fri Nov 22 10:45:01 GMT 2002

On 22 November 2002 10:24 +0000 Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> 1 should be plenty.

Thanks, just trying this but have noticed something odd. See output
below:

[root at mallard root]# /etc/init.d/MailScanner stop
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:       We haven't got any child processes, which
isn't right!, No child processes at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 191.
We have just tried to reap a process which wasn't one of ours!, No
child processes at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 194.
                                                           [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

If I run this a second time:

[root at mallard root]# /etc/init.d/MailScanner stop
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [FAILED]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [FAILED]

So it needs to be run twice to get rid of what seems to be a remaining
instance. This is with Max Children set to 1.

Mike.