Connecting mailscanner to sendmail

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 03:54:26 GMT 2002

Sounds like you have the normal sendmail process running as well as
MailScanner. You should have
1) 2 sendmail processes, both of which are started by the MailScanner
init.d script. Neither one is started by the sendmail init.d script (and
this script should be disabled).
2) 1 or more MailScanner processes (you will get 6 by default) started by

At 21:58 19/11/2002, you wrote:
>I am running MailScanner 4.05-3 with sendmail 8.12.6 on a Debian system
>and am having trouble getting sendmail to leave the message in the queue
>for MailScanner to see and process.
>
>If I stop sendmail and drop some q/df files into the queue MailScanenr
>immediately grabs them and processes them and sends them on
>appropriately.  If sendmail is running and receives a message it
>immediately processes it and sends it along with giving MailScanner a
>chance to look at it.
>
>Everything else works great, but how do I get sendmail to put it in the
>queue and leave it there long enough for MailScanner to see it?
>
>I have tried commenting out the ControlSocketName=... in the sendmail.cf
>file, but still no luck.  Any suggestions?
>--
>Daniel R. Bidwell       |       bidwell at andrews.edu
>Andrews University      Computer Science & Information Systems Department
>If two always agree, one of them is unnecessary
>"Friends don't let friends do DOS"
>"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
>In practice, however, they are not."

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ