[Fwd: Rejected posting to MAILSCANNER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK]

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Tue Nov 19 22:51:48 GMT 2002

> From: Jan-Peter Koopmann <Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE>
>
> > > There is no simple rule for Outlook etc. that would allow me to put
> > > all Spam-Mail in some folder. Currently I would have to put all
> > > possible X-MailScanner-SpamCheck Messages in the word list.
> > Proposal:
> >
> > Easy enough to do. You decide what spam score would be spam
> > and filter on the X-MailScanner-SpamScore header. For example
> > if you decided that anything wih a spam score of 5 was spam
> > you'd tell Outlook that any message whose
> > into a Spam folder.
>
> Yet if you use this even messages that are not spam (due to whitelist)
> but have a high SpamAssassin score are sorted out by the rule.
> Unfortunately Outlook cannot create rules like "Move message if
> spam"...

What I do is have 2 rules that look for lines that start with:

(rule 1) X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: SpamAssassin
(rule 2) X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: ORDB-RBL

And both of them have the same action (put it in my spam folder).

These two only happen if the message is spam.  Though, I do agree that I
would prefer a positive "is spam" to parallel the negative "not spam".

The downside of my technique is that you have to have one rule for each
of your spam types (SpamAssassin, each RBL, etc.), and you have to know
what those various responses will look like.  For me its easy because
we only use SpamAssassin and ORDB (and we'll probably stop using ORDB).
But, it does work in things like procmail, netscape's sorting rules,
etc.
I have no idea if it works in outlook though; I don't know what outlooks
sorting/filtering rules look like.

I would also like to see an option for the SpamScore header to _always_
appear, even if its empty (because the spam score was less than zero).