Question regarding 4.05-3 and virus scanner lock files

Todd Williams todd.williams at TFCCI.COM
Tue Nov 12 19:24:21 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a few questions about the antivirus locking file mechanisms.  I'm
running 4.05-3 on a Redhat test/development box with McAfee uvscan and found
that the last time I sent a message, it made this lock file in
/tmp/McAfeeBusy.lock :

# ls -alrt /tmp
-rw-------    1 root     root           50 Nov  11 17:33 McAfeeBusy.lock
# cat /tmp/McAfeeBusy.lock
Virus checker locked for scanning by mcafee 27087

Process 27087 is still running (a MailScanner child), but there have been no
messages coming into this machine (test box).  The last message received was
around the same time the lock file was created.  The issue (I think?) is,
whenever the last test message was sent through, the MailScanner checked the
message for viruses, and left the lock file laying around.  Is this normal
behaviour?  Should it not unlock/unlink the file when it's completed?  Are
the MailScanner processes limited to running one copy of the virus scanner
at a time?  Also, what happens when the mcafee-autoupdate script attempts to
run -- will it bail and fail to run properly because the lockfile exists?
I'm also considering changing the default lock file directory to /var/lock -
there should not be any issues there, right?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

P.S.  MailScanner is a wonderful thing!!