The Challenge

Lewis Bergman lbergman at wtxs.net
Fri Nov 8 18:49:11 GMT 2002

All the talk and offers of donating hardware to Julian to further improve MS
are great. I just don't think they go far enough. We are a commercial entity.
We charge people money as a result of Julian's efforts. I think it is only
fair that Julian be awarded at least some paltry sum as a result.

I believe this should be the case if your are a large educational institution
or a business. If you gain economic benefit by either costs saved or profits
produced you should consider rewarding Julian's hard work out of gratitude.
He hasn't asked for anything but I think version 4 proves it is high time to
step up and reward him without him asking.

My company has done this already. We wanted certain features which were either
not on the radar screen or way down the list. Julian did not ask but I
offered to "bump" these features up the list in exchange for paying him since
he would obviously forgore some other pleasurable pursuits. As a direct
result you have the old "domains.to.scan.conf" and its version 4 equivalent
"Spam Checks". The improved F-Prot logging is also a result as well as some
other minor things. We only did this when we thought that the features we
requested were of use to the general population of MailScanner.

I now challenge the rest of you to do the same. To date we have paid Julian
$350.00 USD and there is no other software available that could do what MS
does for even ten times that amount. When you ask for something that benefits
you and causes Julian (or Nick) to do some work, seriously consider paying
them. I think you could all let your conscience guide you as to when this is
appropriate.
--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications