Archiving Mail

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 15:20:23 GMT 2002

At 13:49 08/11/2002, you wrote:
>Julian,
>
>When putting these parameters in the ruleset the email is still getting
>forwarded because it matches.
>
>ie.
>
>FromTo: alex at domain.com no
>FromTo: *@domain.com archive at domain.com
>
>email to alex at domain.com is still getting forwarded.

Unfortunately the Archive Mail parameter collects all the
addresses+directories from matching rules. The *@domain.com will cause
alex at domain.com to be archived to archive at domain.com.
I envisioned people potentially wanting some addresses to be archived in
more than 1 place, not specific users not being archived at all.

Add having "not" as part of the address to match wouldn't help either, as
"not alex at domain.com" would be true for "jim at otherdomain.com", so you would
end up archiving *all* your mail.

You really need some way to specify a "nowhere" result which over-rides all
the other results. Perhaps some "magic value" such as "none", which would
cause it to immediately make the whole result blank. But then if we get a
virus called "none" we might be in trouble making up the "Viruses To
Delete" list. Guess I could use something wacky like "*none*" but it
doesn't exactly sound like a good solution, does it? Looks like a right
hack to me :-(

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ