Fetchmail and MailScanner question

David While David.While at UCE.AC.UK
Fri Nov 8 12:01:50 GMT 2002

I did originally have the senders address (as reported in the brackets in
the log entry), however the address reported by MailScanner in the log
file is the address from the envelope of the original email which in most
cases of Spam is forged. I started to do reverse DNS lookups on the IP
address but the majority of senders of Spam don't have the reverse DNS
entries set up.

The sending SMTP server is the only reliable information - it is the
server that sent the spam to you - that is all you can tell.

To do what you are suggesting would require MailScanner to analyse the
email and look at the headers to try and determine the originator of the
spam which I suspect would be a fairly complex task (perhaps Julian would
like to comment!).

Hotmail does do Spam checking (according to their website) by activating
the junk mail filter so maybe the users should turn this on so that the
mail isn't forwarded.

David While
Technical Development Manager
Faculty of Computing, Information & English
University of Central England
Tel: 0121 331 6211

Roland Ehle <novirus at CARLO65.DE>
Sent by: MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
08/11/2002 11:41
Please respond to MailScanner mailing list