Upgrade problems to 4.05

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Thu Nov 7 20:46:46 GMT 2002

Julian Field wrote:

>  At 19:25 06/11/2002, you wrote:
>
>> Also, I have noticed a major difference in the messages I get when a
>> virus is found. When I was running 3.23 I got the headers of the
>> offending message, now I get a short summary. Is this a change from
>> MailScanner 3 to 4, or a change from Kasparsky to f-prot which I
>> made at the same time for economic reasons?
>
> This is a configuration option, called something containing "Full
> Headers" if I remember rightly.

In deed, at line 359 in my MailScanner.conf:
    Notices Include Full Headers = yes

I built and supervise five firewalls for my largest client, and I keep a
crib-sheet of those addresses close at hand. With Full Headers I was
able to quickly note when the first address in a blocked message was one
of those five, and catch our own problems quickly. After restoring this
setting yesterday I was able to identify the largest single source of
virus messages in the last month, and it turned out to be the general
manager of the company!

Fortunately, she's out of town today and I've arranged for her ethernet
to be unplugged. I'll quietly run FixKlez.com on her machine this
afternoon. I just wish I'd raised this question sooner.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,