MS4.x config/runtime issues

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Nov 7 17:18:10 GMT 2002

We have been using MailScanner v3.x on Solaris for a long time.  In the
last couple of weeks I have begun installing a test v4.x .  See, for
example, yesterday's discussion about "iframe dilemma", following which I
am now trying Julian's latest pre-release 4.x (although none of the issues
below relate to this "pre-release": I had already uncovered them all a
week or so ago under 4.04-1).

What follows are issues that 4.x/Solaris/our-site has exposed, and I am
wondering what is the most appropriate way forward.

1. bin/MailScanner/Log.pm :  MS gave a message:
     Your vendor has not defined the Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG at [...]

   By commenting out the line:
     eval { Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('unix'); }; # Doesn't need syslogd -r

   this then worked, apparently with no ill effect.

   Seems to be  sort of Perl/Solaris interaction (Perl 5.6.0; Solaris 8).
   Does the MS code need to be more tolerant, and/or autoconf'd?

2. lib/mcafee-wrapper:  has pathname "/usr/local/uvscan/uvscan" hardcoded.
   At our site the pathname is different.  OK, I can tweak things to make
   it work.  But in v3 this had been configurable in etc/mailscanner.conf
   and v4.x seems to have gone backwards: no longer configurable.
   (Or is it your intention that this should ultimately be a site-driven
   autoconf thing.  In which case, can I urge you to begin to include the
   the "configure" and autoconf stuff please!)

3. With v3, I had had the default (and sensible!):
      Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue

   To ensure co-residency on the same physical partition of the other
   directories, they had been subdirectories of this:
      Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/mq.in
      Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/incoming
      Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/quarantine
   Solid and safe.

   Further, the standard "/var/spool/mqueue" (i.e. "Outgoing Queue Dir")
   was also a separate partition for ease of system maintenance (including
   possible OS replacement).  So it also contained a "lost+found".

   But under v4 this gives errors:
      Queue directory /var/spool/mqueue cannot contain sub-directories,
      currently contains dir lost+found at
      /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm line 839

   (Presumably each of the other directories could also have given an
   analogous message, had it got that far.)

   Is there any reason why v4.x forbids such subdirectory use?
   (Note that the apparently simple solution of making the partition
   "/var/spool" instead of "/var/spool/mqueue" makes OS replacement
   potentially more tricky, as "/var/spool" contians "system" things other
   than mqueue.

   Does MailScanner really require this restriction?  Can it be removed?
   If this is necessary, "bin/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm" would then require
   changing so that so that "sub KickMessage {}" could pass an argument
   "-oQ<value of 'Outgoing Queue Dir'>" as it invokes sendmail.

What is the best for us (our site, and Julian as MS author) to proceed on
these issues?

By the way, Julian, did you get those autoconf-isms I sent you from the
MS 4 you had privately sent me a couple of weeks ago?

Hope this helps make MS even better!