Upgrade problems to 4.05

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Nov 6 19:25:37 GMT 2002

Julian,

I've been running with 4.00.0a13 ever since that frantic weekend when you
were spitting out a new alpha every few hours. (You released them all, I
installed them all, did either of us get any sleep?) At that time I couldn't
get the ./install.sh to ever work, and you had me uninstalling each package,
in reverse order, and then installing each package in order.

It's been a while, so I decided to catch up again and just grabbed 4.05 to
try. With that many other installs behind you, I thought I'd give the
installer another shot. After congratulating me for having the patch command
and /usr/src/redhat, it gave me this:

     You appear to have 2 versions of Perl installed,
     the normal one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local.
     This often happens if you have used CPAN to install modules.
     I strongly advise you remove all traces of perl from
     within /usr/local and then run this script again.

     If you do not want to do that, and really want to continue,
     then you will need to run this script as
             ./install.sh ignore-perl

That neatly illustrates the most frustrating thing about my Linux/Unix
experience. If anyone on earth should know where Perl modules should be, it
has to be CPAN, right? And if anyone on earth should know where files belong
on a RedHat system, it would be rpm, right? So how come every machine I have
ever run more than a week has at least two sets of several Perl directories?
(Never mind that I have to have two versions of Python now.)

I know, you didn't make this mess. But I certainly don't feel confident
removing all traces of Perl from /usr/local, and the only trace I see there
is
   mod_perl.pm -> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm
which is a link to yet a third location. Is there a risk in running more than
one copy of Perl things? Is it greater than the risk of running less than
one? Or, as seems more likely to me, having seven copies of Perl things but
none of them is in the place that something else wants it to be? As much as I
despise Microsoft, I at least know where everything goes in a Windows system!
</rant>

So, I'm thinking about going back to the familiar routine of removing each
RPM in turn and reinstallting them one at a time. That way the only thing I
have to worry about is to restore my MailScanner.conf. (Which reminds me, why
can't RPM note if a valid conf file is in place and leave it alone?)

Also, I have noticed a major difference in the messages I get when a virus is
found. When I was running 3.23 I got the headers of the offending message,
now I get a short summary. Is this a change from MailScanner 3 to 4, or a
change from Kasparsky to f-prot which I made at the same time for economic
reasons?

This can wait a bit, viruses are being stopped and the mail is getting
delivered.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,