Redhat 8.0 / command: service MailScanner status

Didier Belhomme didier.belhomme at FUNDP.AC.BE
Wed Nov 6 08:34:48 GMT 2002

At 22:31 5/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Everything installed and compiled just fine and messages
>send from another computer to a user on the new system gets
>signed ok in the header (found to be clean), A eicar test
>file was stopped, send to /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
>and a virus warning is send to the user and a copy to me at
>my postmaster address so far so good... but....
>
>When I issue the command "service MailScanner status" I'm
>receiving a error on the outgoing sendmail.
>
>Checking MailScanner daemons:
>          MailScanner:          [  OK  ]
>          incoming sendmail:    [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail:    [FAILED]
>
>And a snip from /var/log/messages
>
>Nov  5 23:28:35 bromberg2 MailScanner:  succeeded
>Nov  5 23:28:35 bromberg2 MailScanner:  succeeded
>Nov  5 23:28:35 bromberg2 MailScanner:  failed

Check that another sendmail process is not already running. When the
"normal" sendmail service is running, Mailscanner is unable to start the
outgoing sendmail process.

# service sendmail stop
# service MailScanner stop
# service MailScanner start

should work.

Didier Belhomme
FUNDP - Service informatique universitaire - UNIX Systems Support
Rue Grandgagnage, 21 B-5000 Namur
Tel : +32 81 725025
Fax: +32 81 725023
E-mail : didier.belhomme at fundp.ac.be