scanning for filetype?

Francois Caen FCaen at CI.LAKEWOOD.WA.US
Thu May 30 22:32:04 IST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: wolfgang.lumpp at GMX.NET

> is it possible to check the attachments for filetypes?
> How can I add such a function (I'm not a perl magician)?
> This means, someones send a avi, which is (should) forbidden, but renames
> the file to .txt

Doing that would require a huge amount of AI/heuristics and processing.

Yes, you could look at a file, see if you see a bitmap header or an ID3 tag or some thing like that, but there are so many different file formats each with its own specifics that I don't think it's feasible, especially if we're talking hundreds or thousands per hour.