spamassassin integration

Mark T. Valites valites at GENESEO.EDU
Fri May 24 14:55:26 IST 2002

I'm new to both spamassassin & mailscanner.  I was pleasantly shocked at
the ease of install and the fact that it was running in about 30 minutes
(I made dinner in that time too...).  I am a little confused as to how the
spamassassin part integrates into mailscanner.  A search of the
mailscanner archives didn't seem to help, but I apologize if this has been
answered already.

>From what I have gathered this morning from reading about spamassissin, it
was inteneded to be run on a per-user basis.  System wide integration can
be achieved through the use of several milters, a daemon, or mailscanner.

My question stems from the fact that when I first send a message through
my mail system, it hits mailscanner, which evokes spamassassin, and
outputs a message telling me it created a user pref file for root.  The
file itself says it can be copied to /etc/mail/spamassassin.  After doing
so & removing the /.spamassassin/user_prefs file, the file gets created
again on the next message through the mail system.

Is this because mailscanner is running as root?  Will I ever get user
created pref files?  Should the /etc/mail/spamassissin/user_prefs file be
the one I'm primarily concerned with?

I'm also using procmail as my LTA in sendmail to deliver to maildir
formatted mailboxes.  It looks like mailscanner is completely separate
from the LTA, but it there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall
SUNY Geneseo