Which antivirus is better

Michael Chaney mdchaney at MICHAELCHANEY.COM
Wed May 22 16:55:16 IST 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:26:41AM -0400, Kham Vue wrote:
> I'm testing both the Sophos and F-PROT antivirus.
> Any one out there have a preference or a reason why is one is better than the other?

After testing them both for awhile, I've found that there's no
difference in terms of the viruses that they catch.  Not surprising,
since they both pretty much claim the same number (~60,000).  F-Prot's
update was easier to script, although that's not terribly relevant since
an update script for Sophos comes with mailscanner.

However, F-Prot is $300/year, licensed simply per-server.  I don't know how
much Sophos is, but from what I've heard it's apparently quite a bit more
than that.

Anyway, I'm going with F-Prot.

Michael
--