Mailscanner not scanning attatchments

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 15 11:28:05 IST 2002

At 10:40 15/05/2002, you wrote:
>On Tue, 14 May 2002 17:28:00 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >At 17:01 14/05/2002, you wrote:
> >>   I edited the filename.rules.conf file and found out that it had some bad
> >>tabs in it.  When I did that and sent an executable by email it worked!.
> >>But I did the same thing today, after no changes to the configuration, and
> >>it's not working again.  where is the log for mailscanner again??
> >
> >In your syslog's maillog.
>
>But be sure to include "-r" in the startup of syslog or use
>unix-sockets.
>
>In logger.pl:
>   sub Start {
>+   Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('unix'); ### mj 27.Mar: enables syslog
>     Sys::Syslog::openlog(@_, 'pid, nowait', 'mail');
>   }

This will fail if the installed version of Sys::Syslog does not have the
setlogsock method, which quite a few versions don't (see the Perl in a
Nutshell O'Reilly book). To avoid that problem, I would do this instead:

sub Start {
   # Do this in an eval so it can fail quietly if setlogsock
   # is not supported in the installed version of Sys::Syslog
   eval { Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('unix'); } # Doesn't need syslogd -r
   Sys::Syslog::openlog(@_, 'pid, nowait', 'mail');
}

This code will go into the next release.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ