scanning of messages received using fetchmail - followup

Rajesh Fowkar rajesh-shriram at GMX.NET
Wed May 15 21:28:19 IST 2002

On 14/05/02 at 09:07 - Peter Peters said in public:
>On Wed, 15 May 2002 00:03:16 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>As you can see, it is going as postmaster at debian.home ( here debian.home is
>>a fictitous domain name on my home machine ). Due to this sendmail is not
>>sending the mail to the actual sender but bounces back.
>
>Have you changed mailscanner.conf to show the correct postmaster
>address:
># Set email address of who to notify about any infections found.
># Should put your full domain name here too,
>#    e.g. postmaster at your.domain.com
>Local Postmaster = postmaster at utwente.nl

This part is OK in my mailscanner.conf. Since I am getting the mails sent
to postmaster at debian.home which is my local machine. I am sending mail
using isp's smarthost.

My problem is when the mail is sent to the person who has sent the virus
infected mail. The mail is sent by postmaster at debian.home which is not sent
since debian.home is not a valid domain on the net. As a result the mail
which is sent to the person who has sent the virus mail is not delivered.

If I change my local domain from debian.home to say goatelecom.com than
yes the mail will be sent as From : postmaster at goatelecom.com which will go
through. However any mail sent to goatelecom.com will be returned back
since I will be specifying goatelecom.com as the local domain :-). See that
also I cannot do. Somehow any way there to specify From : address as say
rajesh at goatelecom.com, since if that person replies to my mail than I will
receive his reply.

Thanks for all the replies. Hope I am clear in putting across my problem.

Peace

--
Rajesh *  rajesh at symonds.net  *  http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/