Can someone put [Mailscanner] in the list subjects?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Tue May 14 18:39:04 IST 2002

David Sullivan wrote:
> On 14 May 2002 at 9:25, Jeff Volckaert wrote:
> > Would it be possible to get something like [Mailscanner] in the subject
> > line of all the list messages?  I subscribe to a number of mailing lists
> > and would prefer to not have to start filtering them into individual
> > boxes, but would like to see at a glance which list it's from.
>
> Jiscmail lists can all be customised to do certain things on a per subscriber
> basis, one of which is to put the list name in the subject line:
>
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=mailscanner&A=1

except that then we'll probably get some messages appearing with
[Mailscanner] in and some without and any hope of sensible threading will
go out of the window. I've seen it happen on other lists - you sometimes
end up with subjects like

Re: [listname] blah
and
[listname] Re: blah
and sometimes
[listname] Re: [listname} blah !

I vote for leaving it alone and using e.g. Sender: to filter messages to a
folder like I do now (if we're having a vote that is!)

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed                           To have no errors
Information Services                    Would be life without meaning