Clarification on use of Sophos

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 14 08:27:13 IST 2002

Without a scanning engine (set "Virus Scanner = none"), MailScanner will
still happily block attachments containing any of the suspicious filenames
contained in your ruleset ("filename.rules.conf") and will also tag spam as
such.

So it's still considerably better than nothing, even without a scanning engine.

At 00:11 14/05/2002, you wrote:
>I have just installed MailScanner, so this is a question which can
>probably be handled by saying RTFM.  Anyway, can someone clarify for me
>the role that Sophos plays?  I suspect that without it, MailScanner can
>be configured to strip attachments that seem to be executables, vbs
>etc., but not to recognise virus signatures within these attachments.
>Is that correct? i.e. Is MailScanner alone an effective virus/worm
>control mechanism if all suspect attachment types are stripped?

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ