still confused about autoupdate

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri May 10 14:03:47 IST 2002

Julian,
   Autoupdate for sophos, straight out of the box plus Michael Chaney's
bugfix of yesterday, still fails with:

Could not calculate Sophos version number

because my vdl file is in /opt/sophos/sav, not /opt/sophos/lib.  So I
change the line in the script from:

   $VDLDir     = "../lib";

   $VDLDir     = "../sav";

and run it and it works without complaint.  I end up with the ide
files in a directory /opt/sophos/357.200205100853 with a symlink
/opt/sophos/ide pointing to this directory.  This isn't right, because the
ide files have to be in the same directory as the vdl file (/opt/sophos/sav).
I can see that the configuration isn't right because if I do
"/opt/sophos/bin/sophoswrapper -v" all I get back is the basic information
blurb for SWEEP.

   If I copy the ide files to /opt/sophos/sav and rerun "sophoswrapper -v"
then SWEEP gives me the list of all the ide files it loads.  Either I
am being dense about how to configure/deploy autoupdate, or it is not working
like we think it is.  What is going on here?

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick at colby.edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842