Little OT: Block Domain with Sendmail

Ben C. O. Grimm mailscanner-sub at WIREHUB.NET
Wed May 8 16:52:56 IST 2002

On 8 May 2002 08:53:58 +0200, Quentin Campbell
<Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK> wrote:

> If you REJECT mail it will generate an error reply back to the sender.
> If that address is invalid then you will find large queues building up
> on your mail server with all the consequential effects that brings.
> NEVER use REJECT when blocking against spam attacks or an attempt at
> denial of service.

Sorry, but this is not true! There will not be an error reply back to the
sender in the form of an e-mail message when using REJECT (or an error
message like we're using, f.e. "571 5.7.1 UNWANTED HOST/DOMAIN
eudoramail.com - http://doema.wirehub.nl/error/errors.html#domain."). The
error is generated INSIDE/DURING the smtp transaction between the sending
and the receiving server, and the connection will be dropped/reset straight
after that error message is printed. If there is a bounce, it is caused by
the sending server, back to the Return=Path of the person that initiated
that message.

--
Wirehub! Internet Abuse Handling Dept. - abuse at wirehub.net --
- Blacklists/DNSBLs: http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamstats.html -