No SpamAssassin report with MailScanner?

Richard Ahlquist newsletters at PCSITES.COM
Fri Mar 29 20:37:05 GMT 2002

In the mailscanner.conf file usually found in /etc/mail make sure the
option for SpamAssassin says NO.

Then see if you have a file named procmailrc in the /etc directory (or
wherever else you put procmail if you have procmail configured
differently). If there isnt just create the file. It should contatin theses
lines

:0fw

| spamassassin -P

As I mentioned before if your setup is typical then if you don't want
everyone to get their email run through spamassassin, then, instead of
putting that file in, /etc put it in the home directory of each user who
wants spamassassin run on their mail. Example if jdoe wanted this on my
system I would put a file named ".procmailrc" in /home/jdoe/ inside that
file would be the lines I mentioned above for the /etc/procmailrc file.

NOTE: If the file is in /etc it is named "procmailrc" if it is in a users
home directory its ".procmailrc"

Thats it. This causes Mailscanner to launch sendmail, mail comes in, gets
mailscanned, gets handed to procmail for delivery and gets spam scanned. I
hope that answers Kelly's question too.

Least thats the way I understand it, and I think it works well that way.
May not be as smooth as Lewis mentions, but its the only way I know to get
the full report.

YMMV
Richard