virtual mail servers?

Lewis Bergman lbergman at abi.tconline.net
Wed Mar 27 20:40:35 GMT 2002

I seem to have problems with virtual mail servers now that mailscanner is in
the mix. I was using a linuxconf setup that used a files structure like this:

 Each virtual domain has its own password, spool directory, and user aliases
file. For each virtual email domain, linuxconf will setup

/etc/vmail/passwd.virtual_domain
/etc/vmail/shadow.virtual_domain
/etc/vmail/aliases.virtual_domain
/var/spool/vmail/virtual_domain/
/vhome/virtual_domain/

where virtual_domain is one domain, such as foo.com.

Now when I mail to these domains I get this:
553 5.3.5 mail.hansoncattle.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)
554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

My DNS hasn't changed. The setup did work by setting up the DNS like so
@       MX      5       mail.hansoncattle.com
mail    A       208.29.17.195 ( or whatever)
195     PTR     mail.hansoncattle.com

The server would then do a dns lookup on that IP to see what host it was
supposed to be. Basically you could assign host simply by managing DNS if the
above vmail type files were there. This also allowed a virtual pop3 that used
the same method.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on or how to get this (or
something similiar) to work again. Maybe even using normal sendmail alias
files if neccessary.

--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications