Digital signature invalidated

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Mon Mar 25 08:57:50 GMT 2002

Julian Field wrote:

> At 11:55 22/03/2002, you wrote:
> >I have been using Mailscanner for about six months quite successfully.
> >However, I mam having trouble using it with signed e-mail.
> >Several times a message has been reported to have been changed during
> >transmission, thereby invalidating the digital signature.
> >I have tried switching off 'sign clean messages' and 'scan all messages' to
> >no avail. Not all signed messages are corrupted, but particularly the ones
> >with a MIME payload such as video/mpeg.
> >
> >Please help.  I need to implement a company-wide PKI and do not wish to
> >have to abandon mailscanner.
> >
> >The virus scanning engine is sophos
> >Spam asassin is not enabled or installed
> >Spam tagging is disabled
> >MTA is sendmail
> >Server is Debian Linux 2.2
> >
> >I have not disabled the 'X-Mailscanner: found to be clean' header, but it
> >was my understanding that this should not invalidate the message body
> >signature.
>
> If the message is found to be clean, then the "df" file from the queue,
> containing the message body, is moved directly to the outgoing queue
> without ever being touched or even opened. So I'm at a loss to see why the
> signature would be invalidated.
>
> Are you sure you always re-started MailScanner when experimenting with the
> various configuration switches?
> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ
We have our Corporate PKI running from '96 and mailscanner from 6 months... no problems at all.
We're using the latest mailscanner and McAfee viruscan on a solaris 7 Sparc.
Maybe your problems are on the client side ...
--
Dott. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff
 Department of Computer Science