Most cost effective virus scanner?

Paul Welsh paul-w at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Sun Mar 24 22:46:13 GMT 2002

Well, for those of us using the free beta of F-Prot Linux, things
changed on 22 March because the commercial version was launched.  Their
site says (http://www.f-prot.com/f-prot/products/fplin.html) "License
shall be without charge for personal users of F-Prot Linux for Small
Business, when used on personal workstations."

Now I'm a pretty honest sort of guy and can't claim my server is for
personal use, nor is it a workstation.

As the f-prot site states: "F-Prot Linux for Small Business cost $300
per server, and includes one year of virus signature updates, version
upgrades, and e-mail technical support."

So I guess the question is whether F-Prot is the most cost effective
package out there for use with mailscanner.  I like the flat rate nature
of the new f-prot product.  I have about 12 mailboxes on my server used
by various people.  Products like Sophos are licensed on the basis of
the number of users that benefit.  Even if I bought 12 Sophos Sweep
licences, it would cost about £40 per licence = £480.  The thing is, I
should buy a lot more than 12 Sweep licences because the pop3 boxes I
have on my server are global pop3 boxes so in terms of the number of
users being protected by f-prot, it could be quite high - I'm not even
sure myself.

So, f-prot for $300 pa looks like a bargain compared to Sophos.  Anyone
else using anything less expensive still that works reliably?