Failed to lock ...: Invalid argument

Keith Burris kmburris at TOWNSEND.COM
Fri Mar 22 00:50:35 GMT 2002

Hi, Nick --

Yes, I did mean that they are not being processed. Sorry if that caused
any confusion. Thanks for being a good interpreter and for responding.

The /input part of the directory spec is in mailscanner.conf. A typical
(complete) message in maillog is:

Mar 21 09:34:46 mail mailscanner[11751]: Failed to lock /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/16nrMo-0002jf-00-H: Invalid argument

So MailScanner is actually trying to lock an Exim message header file,
but can't. MailScanner is running as user exim and group mail. The
permissions for the example file are:

134934 -rw-------  1 exim  mail  1019 Mar 20 17:27 16nrMo-0002jf-00-H

Any other thoughts?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:05:13PM -0800, Keith Burris wrote:

> MailScanner starts up, but messages queued by the "incoming" instance of
> Exim are processed. If I start MailScanner in debug mode, the captioned

Not processed, I presume you mean?

> Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

You probably need to add "/input" to the end of the directory specification
you've given mailscanner for exim's incoming queue directory, rather than just
the "/var/spool/exim" or whatever you have specified to exim.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- ÃÃnwp at lemon-computing.comÄÄ
This life is yours.  Some of it was given to you; the rest, you made yourself.