Failed to lock ...: Invalid argument

Keith Burris kmburris at TOWNSEND.COM
Thu Mar 21 21:05:13 GMT 2002

Hi, all --

I am new to MailScanner so forgive me if this is a FAQ or the solution
is obvious. I have read the docs and the FAQs fairly closely, so I don't
think this issue has been addressed so far.

I am attempting to install MailScanner 3-12-5 on a system running
FreeBSD 4.5-Release-p2. Perl is version 5.00503 and the required modules
have been built and installed via the FreeBSD ports system. Exim is the
MTA and Sophos sweep is the AV engine. I believe I have correctly
followed the installation instructions.

MailScanner starts up, but messages queued by the "incoming" instance of
Exim are processed. If I start MailScanner in debug mode, the captioned
message appears in maillog. MailScanner is unable to acquire a lock
for the message header files. If I fstat the incoming spool directory,
no locks are reported except read locks on the parent directory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem?