{SPAM?} Re: Virus report e-mail

sysadmin sysadmin at DMS.UMONTREAL.CA
Sun Jun 30 16:23:55 IST 2002

Julian Field wrote:
> At 16:08 30/06/2002, you wrote:
>
>> Julian Field wrote:
>>
>>> Hang on, is your "incoming" directory specified in mailscanner.conf
>>> exactly
>>> the same as the directory it really is? If you have some soft-links in
>>> the
>>> path, you'll probably run into trouble. From your output below, your
>>> incoming directory should be defined as
>>>         Incoming Work Dir  = /opt/MailScanner-3.20-6/var/incoming
>>

>> k, I just tested with "The EICAR Standard AntiVirus Test File" and now
>> it shows everything correctly! Thanks. I do find it a bit strange that
>> soft links cannot be handled properly!
>

> It's a quirk of the McAfee scanner. Rather that just printing the relative
> pathname of files it reports, it prints the complete path. But it reports
> the *real* path, rather than the route you took to get there.
> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

I was just testing some config options, namely adding  the RFC-IGNORANT
checks and this messaged got marked spam with just
RFC-IGNORANT-WHOIS in the X-MailScanner-SpamCheck field ,

which suggests it might be a too sensitive test.

Chris

                      Christopher Albert
             Responsable des services informatiques
          Departement de mathematiques et de statistique
                   Universite de Montreal

            bureau 6188, Pavillon Andre-Aisenstadt
           Tel: (514) 343-2281  Fax: (514) 343-5700