Proper way to handle misidentifiedspamsite-wide ?

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Fri Jun 28 15:19:25 IST 2002

I have all of mail tagged as spam going to one mailbox, no matter who the
mail was sent to.  I do this in exim.  Specifically, I have a transport
defined similar to:

spam_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  no_from_hack
  prefix = ""
  suffix = ""
  maildir_format
  directory = /path/to/maildir
  create_directory

Then I have a director defined similar to:

spam_domain:
  domains = "domains.whos.spam.i.want"
  condition = ${if def:h_X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:{yes}{no}}
  driver = smartuser
  transport = spam_delivery

What this is doing is checking for a X-MailScanner-SpamCheck header in the
mail message.  If it finds it, the mail will be delivered using the
spam_delivery transport, which will just put the message in a maildir
directory.  I can use any maildir capable client to view the messages (or an
imap server that understands maildir).

Notes:
*  The location of the director definition is important.  Any director
defined before it could be used instead.
*  You must have Spam Action = deliver
*  You will probably need to have Always Include SpamAssassin Report = no

I am not an exim expert, but this seems to work for me.  At least this keeps
the functionality out of MailScanner, so Julian doesn't have to worry about
legal issues.

Hope this helps someone.

Jase