Displaying values of hit rules in header?

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Jun 26 16:43:33 IST 2002

But the scores aren't sums, they're static numbers for each test so if
you know the tests, then you can look up the score assigned to that
test.  You could just pipe it to spamassassin and get a full report
using procmail or even have Mailscanner archive the messages and pipe
them to SA for the full report. The nice thing abou Mailscanner and
SpamD is that each user isn't running a spamassassin process and eating
your cpu cycles.

It would add extra overhead because Mailscanner is using the existing SA
get_names_of_tests_hit () call for the list of tests triggered which
does not include scores.  So it would seem to me that you would have to
do a full report and parse that for the scores.  Any parsing is overhead
that's why just enabling SA checks adds seconds to every message because
that's what SA does... Parses the message.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Goggan [mailto:jgoggan at DCG.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 11:18 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Displaying values of hit rules in header?

"Rose, Bobby" wrote:

> What would be the benefit of this other than info to look?

Because right now, being the first few days of running it, I am trying
to track down why some messages are marked as spam when they shouldn't
be. Therefore, not having to reference the 15 rules that got hit just to
see their values (especially since some seem worthless at "0.053" and
other such insignificant values).

Yes, it is "just to look" -- but for a very good purpose.

> Features should be such that performs a function.

It does.  It helps me know why THIS particular email made it to the
"spam" level.  And helps me know if I might need to adjust some rule
values because I disagree with the defaults.

> I can't see a user writing a filter rule that says check the header
> for CLICK_BELOW (1.531), and delete.

This isn't for filtering at the end-user side.  This is so when I switch
from "deliver with modified subject" to "delete", things will work as
planned.

> If people want the scores then go to the SA page and look at the tests

> and their scores instead of adding the extra overhead per each
> message?

The header is ALREADY being added -- along with each rule name.  It
can't be THAT much more overhead to list a number along with it.  It
isn't like it would be a complex lookup or anything.

It isn't a big deal -- I'll add it myself -- I just thought I'd ask
first to make sure it wasn't already built into some debugging option.

> With all the Spam message rewrite requests, Mailscanner is going to be

> doing spamd's job.

Again, the header with the rules is already included.  It would simply
be also displaying the values of the rules to avoid having to
continuously look them up.

 - John...