Differing Spam Actions for different thresholds?

John Goggan jgoggan at DCG.COM
Wed Jun 26 13:32:05 IST 2002

I've just recently started using MailScanner.  Almost immediately, I see a
feature that seems it would be very useful, but that I do not see a way to use
at this point.  Hopefully someone can tell me if this is possible...

Basically, I would like different Spam Actions based on the required_hits
threshold.  I run MailScanner (with SpamAssassin) on a site-wide basis.  I've
found that I'm getting too many "borderline" messages that get marked as spam
that are not -- and "whitelisting" all of them I don't see as a good solution
here.

What I'd really like to do is set a required_hits threshold at some number
(say 10) and have all messages over that have "Spam Action = delete".  Then
I'd like to have a lower threshold (say required_hits = 6) and have all of
THOSE messages have "Spam Action = deliver" (along with the subject line
modification, of course).

That way, most of the obvious spam would get deleted.  And the "not absolutely
sure" stuff would go to the normal user but be marked as possible spam.  If it
happens to work accurately for them, then they can do the final filtering
themselves on those messages -- but still never have to see the junk that is
obviously spam.

Can that be done already?  If not, any chance of it being implemented later?

Worst case, maybe I could somehow configure two instances of MailScanner?  The
first one would have a higher required_hits and delete the messages -- then it
runs through a second time with a different config (with the lower
required_hits) and just marks those ones?  Just a thought I had in case there
isn't a way yet to do it with one config.

Thanks!

 - John...