I found the maillog non updateing issue in the syslog.conf file

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Thu Jun 20 01:11:21 IST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 06:06:59PM -0400, Matt Doherty wrote:
> In the :
> /etc/syslog.conf file
>
> I think the rpm might have modified it .. must have because i didnt..
> My previouse non working line was :
>
> # Log all the mail messages in one place.
> mail.debug*;mailscanner.*                    /var/log/maillog

I suggest you read and understand the syslog.conf man page before editing
your syslog.conf. Be particularly sure to understand what is meant by a
'facility' and a 'severity', and what the list of possible values for each is.

Mailscanner doesn't touch your syslog.conf.

Not ever.

>                ---====   I split them and changed it to:  ====---
>
> # Log all the mail messages in one place.
> mail.*                                                /var/log/maillog
>
> # Log all the mailscanned messages to.
> mailscanner.*                                    /var/log/mailscanner
>
> now when i do a
> tail -f /var/log/maillog
> its working now :)

Because now only the second line is being ignored.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
After your lover has gone you will still have PEANUT BUTTER!