Thank you, but no go still :(

Matt Doherty Matthew_doherty at DATAWATCH.COM
Wed Jun 19 20:01:44 IST 2002

Thank you for the info.
There was a line in the /etc/syslog.conf file ">mail.none /var/log/maillog
<" I changed it to ">mail.debug /var/log/maillog <" (none to debug)
restarted syslog and still no go.
Upon reading your next option I also noticed there was a missing "-r" switch
in the line from /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog .. I did a restart and
unfortunately no go.. I restarted mailscanner.. then a tail -f
/var/log/maillog and no action..:( at that point I can send mail still but
all of a sudden I cant receive any new ones..so I tried sending mail from a
remote domain over and over and got no erros on the sendees side but on my
receiving end (with mailscanner) I received no new mail.. being in a panic
..lol.. I did a mailscanner stop and then a sendmail start and immediatly
received all mail from 10 minutes ago from the remote domain.. These test
emails have no attachments and have as little as one word of text in both
subject and body..permissions for any files including the maillog have not
been altered since the beginning of mailscanner install...from yesterdays
fresh new install of mailscanner the only thing new today was the new
version you put out on the ftp site..mailscanner-3.20-6.i386.rpm -U option
was used.. that i did... (not saying this problem wasn't an issue yesturday,
,it was).. I have found something in Google about a statement in a
procmail.rc file? I did a locate for it and its not on my RH7.2 system at
least. apparently someone had a issue with maillog not being written to and
a line in that file was the fix..oh well, I hope to get this thing working
.. I like it.. As with some unix programs i have to put up a small
fight..but its worth it to keep windows and gates away from my world..:)
Thank You Much for speedy reply!! however I am still stuck.:(
I did check all files and reread the mailscanner.conf file.. no changes to
the conf file were needed.. It kept my previous settings.. sophos etc..