email marked as Spam when it isn't, with 3.20-4

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 17:29:34 IST 2002

At 16:51 18/06/2002, you wrote:
>I've upgraded from 3.14-3 from 3.20-4, using SpamAssassin 2.30 on
>Solaris.      I received a number of emails soon afterwards which didn't
>look like spam, and  didn't have the usual SpamAssassin header added (with
>the score).               The headers looked like
>this:
>()
>i.e. nothing between the brackets.  Any idea what is going wrong?  I've
>had to  revert back to 3.14-3.   Attached are the mailscanner.conf
>and                  spam.assassin.prefs.conf for V3.20.4.  I've also
>attached one of the mail       messages that was
>affected.
>Michael

This looks like another Perl bug, as from the logic of the code it is
impossible for it to happen. I hate "blaming the compiler" but it's hardly
the first time I've run into Perl bugs.

Try applying this patch to sendmail.pl and tell me if it works:

*** sendmail.pl Sun Jun 16 21:30:25 2002
--- sendmail.pl.new     Tue Jun 18 17:35:15 2002
***************
*** 280,289 ****
--- 280,290 ----
           (!$IsOnWhiteList || $Config::IncludeSpamHeader)) {
         my($SASaysSpam, $SAreport);
         $SASaysSpam = 0;
         $SAreport = "";
         ($SASaysSpam, $SAreport) = SpamAssassinChecks($Headers, $mID);
+       $SASaysSpam = 0 unless $SAreport; # Solve bug with empty SAreports
         if ($SASaysSpam || $Config::IncludeSpamHeader) {
           $SpamHeader .= ", " if $SpamHeader;
           $SpamHeader .= "SpamAssassin ($SAreport)";
         }
         $ThisIsSpam = 1 if $SASaysSpam && !$IsOnWhiteList;

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ