ANNOUNCE: Version 3.20-4 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 17 20:45:03 IST 2002

At 19:05 17/06/2002, you wrote:
>I just installed 3.20-4 (and the latest versions of SpamAssassin and Razor)
>and I noticed that if Log Spam is enabled, the log message contains the IP
>address of the last relay (and the internet name of the actual source)
>
>For example:
>
>Jun 17 19:33:19 prezzemolo mailscanner[8541]: Message g5HHWwt09427 from
>     130.192.2.16 (surem.co.kr) is spam according to SpamAssassin
>     (score=16.4, required 5, KOREAN_UCE_SUBJECT, COPYRIGHT_CLAIMED,
>      MIME_EXCESSIVE_QP, BASE64_ENC_TEXT, SUBJ_ALL_CAPS, SUBJ_FULL_OF_8BITS,
>      CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADERS, DATE_IN_PAST_48_96)
>
>where 130.192.2.16 (pol88b.polito.it ) is actually our main mail server (the
>MX for the domain) and its address appears in all the SpamAssassin logs.
>
>Shouldn't the two addresses be the same?

No.
The number is the IP address of the SMTP client that made the connection to
the mail server.
The name is the domain name of the sender's address as read from the
message envelope.
I guess I should add something to the docs to explain this (assuming, just
for a hypothetical moment, that anyone reads them :-)
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ