f-prot / aves detects this as a virus !! I think

Francois Caen FCaen at CI.LAKEWOOD.WA.US
Mon Jun 17 16:43:38 IST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: rishi at THEARGONCOMPANY.COM

> I just checked... f-prot does not detect it as a virus so it's their problem.
> They need to check it out.... Mailscanner is fine .. I guess..
> [root /tmp]# f-prot /tmp/decrypt-password.exe
> Virus scanning report  -  17. June 2002   13:48
> F-PROT 3.12a
> SIGN.DEF created 14. June 2002
> SIGN2.DEF created 14. June 2002
> MACRO.DEF created 11. June 2002

That's weird. I had the same problem until somewhere around the 12th or 13th. On that day, they finally added W32.Frethem to their definition, at least as suspicious:

# f-prot decrypt-password.exe
Virus scanning report  -  17. June 2002   8:39

F-PROT 3.12a
SIGN.DEF created 14. June 2002
SIGN2.DEF created 14. June 2002
MACRO.DEF created 11. June 2002

Search: decrypt-password.exe
Action: Report only
Files: Attempt to identify files
Switches: <none>

/tmp/decrypt-password.exe  is a security risk or a "backdoor" program

Results of virus scanning:

Files: 1
MBRs: 0
Boot sectors: 0
Objects scanned: 1
Infected: 0
Suspicious: 1
Disinfected: 0
Deleted: 0
Renamed: 0

Time: 0:00

Francois Caen
Network Information Systems Engineer - Webmaster
City of Lakewood, WA
(253) 512-2269