ANNOUNCE: MIME-Tools security patch

Henry C. Chorlian chorlian at CBR.MED.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Jun 7 13:25:05 IST 2002

When run I get the following:

patch -p0 < mime-tools-patch.txt
  Looks like a new-style context diff.
Malformed patch at line 286:
patch: Line must begin with '+ ', '  ', or '! '.

Not sure what this means?

On Friday, June 07, 2002 at 11:32:11 AM, MailScanner mailing list wrote:

> A very nice person on the Bugtraq mailing list has found some potential
> security problems with the current stable release of the MIME-Tools module
> which is used by MailScanner. These are likely to be exploited fairly soon
> as the hackers all read Bugtraq too.
>
> A patch to correct these problems is attached to this message.
>
> You should find that the command
>          patch -p0 < mime-tools-patch.txt
> will install the patch, but it will probably ask you to locate the 2 files
> it needs to patch. Have a hunt round your Perl installation for the
> site_perl directory and take a look in there. If you can't find your
> site_perl directory anywhere, then run this perl script:
>          #!/usr/bin/perl
>          print join("\n", @INC);
> and the output of that will tell you where to look for it.
>
> Please don't ask me for more advice on using the patch command, there's a
> perfectly good man page about it and patch is very intelligent anyway, so
> you shouldn't have much problem.
>
> Jules.

Henry C. Chorlian
Director of Information Technology